askui organized its first-ever hackathon on 24th September 2022. The theme of the challenge was #innovation. The hackathon challenge duration was 10 hours. I just completed the hackathon challenge 2 hours ago and thought to pen down my experience with the hackathon before I head back to my weekend.
What was great?
- The event was well managed. Everything was documented well in advance. askui Hackathon
- The winning criteria were defined and shared well in advance.
- The opening kickstart session with judges gave some excellent positive vibes along with tips to excel in this challenge.
- The dev team / support was great! They were available throughout the 10 hours and provided prompt responses and suggestions for working around with typical issues and errors.
- Availability of tools before the event to get familiar with basic tool APIs.
- Prompt answers from the askui team on discord queries, and issues.
- askui tool offers a totally different model of automation and I see great potential in this tool where most other tools will easily fail. It feels like an electric car in the age-old era of petrol cars.
- Fab collaboration and great mutual understanding with my hackathon partner, Bharath Muddada.
What did I learn?
- New tool: askui
- Practical work with async / await methods
- Creating & Editing a quick readme file for my test solution
- Command Line tools & shortcuts for quick work.
- Automation via an OCR-based tool
- JEST Framework Basics & Writing a few tests using jest.
- Live collaboration with an absolute new partner during the hackathon. Yes, I didn’t know much about him before this challenge. Till now, I had only collaborated with known partners 🙂
- Leveraging automation tools for easing day-to-day tasks beyond test execution.
What do I look forward to?
- Exploring askui for some crazy automation scenarios. askui – Humanizing UI Automation
- Exploring JS / TS & jest in the coming months.
- Extending the tool that I developed as part of the askui hackathon. I see some potential in it 🙂 parwalrahul/Testistant-askuihackathon (github.com)
- Results & Feedback from the judges 🙂
- More such hackathons and participations. I feel super energetic whenever I participate in such events.
Bye! Signing off for today 🙂
Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower.Steve Jobs
Update (13 Oct 2022): We won the first prize in this contest.
If you liked this article, you can check out this popular post from my blog hits: